Bailey Entering NFL Draft, Signs With MAG


FAYETTEVILLE — Offensive guard Alvin Bailey has decided to forgo his final season at Arkansas and enter the 2013 NFL Draft.

Bailey has signed with MAG. Ryan Morgan, who is president of MAG said Bailey’s paperwork was faxed to the NFL on Wednesday. The guard is training in Arizona.

“He’s a talented player who we think he can play in the NFL for a long time,” Morgan said. “The focus now has been to train the right way and get his body to where we want it to be. He’s a physical specimen.”

Bailey could not be reached for comment Wednesday. Neither could his father, Alvin Bailey, Sr., who told Hawgs Illustrated his son was ready to begin a pro football.

“The Bailey Family will always be Hogs, however, Alvin has decided to forego his redshirt senior season,” Bailey Sr. told Hawgs Illustrated. “We support his decision.”

MAG also is representing Arkansas defensive end Tenarius Wright for the draft. Former Razorbacks Jarius Wright and Gred Childs, who were drafted in the fourth round of the 2012 NFL Draft by the Minnesota Vikings, are MAG clients as well.

Bailey, a Broken Arrow, Okla., native, started every game of his Arkansas career alongside center Travis Swanson. The two – who were members of the 2009 signing class and redshirted that season – logged 38 straight starts together.

Bailey would’ve been one of the anchors of Arkansas’ offensive line under coach Bret Bielema if he returned to campus. But he became the second Arkansas junior to declare for the NFL Draft this month, joining running back Knile Davis.

NFLDraftScout.com currently lists Bailey as the sixth-best offensive guard in the 2014 NFL Draft pool. Bailey won’t wait until then, taking his chances this year.

Bailey becomes the first Arkansas offensive lineman to declare early for the NFL Draft since Shawn Andrews, who left the Hogs after the 2003 season. Andrews became a first-round pick when the Philadelphia Eagles selected him at No. 16.

Bailey’s departure means Arkansas will have to replace three regulars from the offensive line next season. Bailey joins outgoing seniors Tyler Deacon and Jason Peacock, who split time in the starting lineup with sophomore Brey Cook.

Swanson also is evaluating his draft status and said earlier this month he was “keeping an open mind.” Said Swanson: “I haven’t made a decision.”

— Robbie Neiswanger • Arkansas News Bureau