FAYETTEVILLE — There's something Arkansas fans growing anxious about athletic director Jeff Long’s coaching search can do today.
Sit down. Turn on the television. Watch football.
The final day of the 2012 regular season is on tap with a slate of games that carry plenty of intrigue. And we’re talking more than just on-the-field drama. They’re also teams led by coaches who have been popular names in the coaching carousel.
Long previously said he didn’t plan to speak directly with candidates until after the regular season ended. He also told Arkansas’ players last Sunday they’ll have a coach in place in 10 to 14 days. So, working on that premise, we believe there’s a good chance Arkansas’ next coach is guiding his current team for the last time today.
Who is it? That’s not easy to predict. It’s no secret TCU’s Gary Patterson, Boise State’s Chris Petersen and Oklahoma State’s Mike Gundy have all been popular names in the Arkansas search the past couple of weeks. But there are other possibilities as well as Long’s coaching search enters the critical weekend.
So here’s a rundown of games (and coaches) to pay attention to today:
• Oklahoma State (Mike Gundy) at Baylor (Art Briles) – 11 a.m. on FX
• Oklahoma (Bob Stoops) at TCU (Gary Patterson) - 11 a.m. on ESPN
• Middle Tennessee at Arkansas State (Gus Malzahn) – 2 p.m. on ESPN3
• Boise State (Chris Petersen) at Nevada - 2:30 p.m. on ABC
• Cincinnati (Butch Jones) vs. Connecticut - 2:30 p.m. on ABC
• Alabama (Kirby Smart) vs. Georgia in SEC Championship Game – 3 p.m. on CBS
• Florida State (Jimbo Fisher) vs. Georgia Tech in ACC Championship Game – 7 p.m. on ESPN
• Nebraska (Bo Pelini) vs. Wisconsin in Big Ten Championship Game – 7:17 p.m. on Fox